Logo of LLMC Digital present on all screens.  Clicking here will always return to Homepage
A 501 (c)(3) nonprofit committed to ‘saving the law’
prd server 3Book Bag
Description and Holding Information
Senate. Comm. on Roads and Bridges. Act to incorporate the Fall River Mill Road, Rail-Road, and Ferry Company, 1835
SEE ALSO 52668 Senate No. 34 On February 26, 1835, the Senate Committee on Roads and Bridges reported An Act to incorporate the Fall River Mill
Road, Rail-road, and Ferry Company, 1835. Seven men were incorporated as above with the usual rights and responsibilities to sell shares of $100
each, and arrange the company in the usual way. The corporation was authorized to build the infrastructure for a steam ferry over the Taunton Great River
with wharves, etc., to build a road from the ferry landing to several named places, with bridges with draws over the Narrows and Cole's River, and to
maintain the waterways to enable tide mills. There were two pages of very detailed instructions for the route of the railroad. There were similarly
detailed instructions for the ferry toll and weight limits, but less so for the railroad rates. If the railroad made too much money, the Legislature
might step in to lower rates. The ferry and road had to be up and running by 1838 and the railroad completed by 1841. (Digitized from a microfilm
copy of title originally held by the Massachusetts State Library).
Title:   The Committee on Roads and Bridges to whom was referred the petition of Henry Gardner and others, praying for authority to make a road, establish a ferry, and erect and maintain tide mills near the village of Fall River, and also the petition of Andrew Robeson and others, in aid of said petition of Henry Gardner and others; praying a grant of a rail-road in connection with the objects prayed for in that petition, report a bill thereon. Per order of the committee, Geo. A. Tufts, chairman.
OCLC Number:   1396449970
Available Volumes
NameFiche CountOnlinePaper Backup
Vol. 1YesNo