Logo of LLMC Digital present on all screens.  Clicking here will always return to Homepage
A 501 (c)(3) nonprofit committed to ‘saving the law’
prd server 2Book Bag
Description and Holding Information
House. Comm. to Inspect the Charles River Bridge Co. Report, 1827
SEE ALSO 51827, 51831 H.R. No. 71 On February 27, 1827, the records and proceedings of the proprietors of the Charles River Bridge were laid before
a three man committee that it might ask 1) What right had the bridge to tolls 2) How many dividends had been paid to shareholders, and how much were
the dividends 3) Had any accommodation been made to the proprietors when other bridges were built. On p. 3, the Committee presented its report. 1)
The bridge was opened with the right to collect tolls on June 17, 1786 2) There had been 165 dividends over the years to about $3815 per share 3) There
was more than one occasion where the permission to collect tolls was extended by several years to make up for a perceived downturn in tolls because
of a new bridge. The documentation for this ran until p. 26. Pages 27-32 were not present. On P. 33, the committee presented another report. It
recommended in favor of the new bridge as a toll bridge. There were the usual demands of good construction, lighting, etc. The proprietors were to pay
Harvard College 300 pounds/year. The contract for the Charles River Bridge would be extended for thirty more years to compensate for any loss of
revenue. (Digitized from a microfilm copy of title originally held by the Massachusetts State Library).
Title:   It appearing to this House, that the records and proceedings of the proprietors of Charles River Bridge have been laid upon the desk of the clerk, pursuant to the order of the House ...
OCLC Number:   1389570925
Available Volumes
NameFiche CountOnlinePaper Backup
Vol. 1YesNo