Logo of LLMC Digital present on all screens.  Clicking here will always return to Homepage
A 501 (c)(3) nonprofit committed to ‘saving the law’
prd server 3Book Bag
Description and Holding Information
House. Comm. on Amherst Academy Joint Report. Report, 1824
See Also 51686, 51688 This document is the House report on the issue dated January 8, 1825, Report of the Committee appointed to enquire into facts
relative to Amherst College Institute. When the House Committee received the Joint Committee report, it went to Amherst from October 4-19, 1824, to
investigate. The men spoke to the Trustees and three people opposed to granting a charter to Amherst. The College had considerable cash and many real
estate holdings. Some donors had promised money because they thought Williams College would move to Amherst soon and thus withheld their pledges until
that happened. The Committee found no improprieties in the financial management or student recruitment. Would the public good benefit from a new
college? The Committee was in favor of granting a charter as soon as possible with a proviso of merging with Williams College in seven years, if
appropriate. The report is followed by a copy of the Constitution and By-Laws of Amherst College dated May 23, 1818, that governed the initial fund-raising
efforts. Money subscribed would be carefully invested in real estate and US funds and the earnings would fund the College. Attention was given to
careful management of funds and record-keeping. There was to be a Board of Trustees and a Board of Overseers who would employ a financier and an auditor
for whom several pages of directions were provided. Trustees were to select the scholarship recipients. There were directions on managing a
financial impropriety or dereliction of duty. The Trustees were to publish an annual report and keep three copies of relevant documents in three different
places. The next document was a copy of a June 22, 1822 solicitation by the Trustees to raise an additional $30,000 to equip a laboratory, expand the
library, and add buildings. The pledge form and a list of some of the larger pledges were included. Following that was a copy of a petition to the
General Court dated November 2, 1819 from Williams College asking permission to move the College to Northhampton. They hoped to be more convenient to
potential students. (Digitized from a microfilm copy of title originally held by the Massachusetts State Library).
Title:   Report of the committee appointed to inquire into facts relative to the Amherst Collegiate Institution, January 8, 1825.
OCLC Number:   1017750888
Available Volumes
NameFiche CountOnlinePaper Backup
Vol. 1YesNo