1650- Journal of the House of Delegates of the Maryland General Assembly: title varies, St. Mary’s City & Annapolis, var. St. printers, 1635-
Maryland’s colonial origins date back to a charter granted to Cecilius Calvert, the 2nd Lord Baltimore, by King Charles 1 of England. The charter authorized
a colony in the wilderness between the then somewhat uncertain limits of the colonies of Pennsylvania and Virginia. Definitive boundaries were not
settled until 1763-67, when the drawing of the Mason-Dixon Line determined Maryland’s boundaries with the colonies of Delaware, Pennsylvania and
Virginia. The founding Royal Charter also permitted Lord Baltimore to make laws “with the advice, assent and approbation of the Free Men of the same Province,
or the greater part of them, or of their delegates….” The first Maryland General Assembly was convened by the first governor of the colony, Leonard
Calvert, Lord Baltimore’s brother, in 1634/35. ” The Assembly met in in St. Mary’s City, then the colonies major settlement. Until 1650 the legislature
was unicameral, after which date it was composed of upper and lower houses; i.e., the governor’s Council and the House of Freemen. In 1695 the
capital was moved from St. Mary’s City to Annapolis (formerly the settlement of Providence). The last colonial era assembly was suspended by the royal
governor in 1774, and the colony was governed for the next three years by an extralegal provincial convention. A new constitution in 1776 established a
legislature composed of a Senate and House of Delegates. The first General Assembly of the newly constituted legislature met in Annapolis in 1777.
Maryland was the 13th state to ratify the Articles of Confederation and was the 7th state to ratify the new Constitution. Of note, in one Senate Journal
abstract for the years 1811-1815, both the House and Senate journals were bound together, with the House preceding the Senate. For this electronic
version, they have been separated to facilitate use, and explains why the Senate journal does not begin with page 1 for these years. (Volumes contained
in the Early State Records collection were digitized from a microfilm copy of the title originally held by the Library of Congress and the Maryland
Hall of Records).